B.B. Comer Bridge Added to List
After a long wait, we have received the certificate showing that B.B. Comer Memorial Bridge has been officially added to the Alabama register of Landmarks and Heritage. Many thanks to Caroline Lynch Minor for all the time and effort she invested in getting this accomplished.
History of the B.B. Comer Bridge
The B.B. Comer Bridge was opened in 1930 as a toll bridge. The act authorizing a series of 15 memorial toll bridges, located throughout the state of Alabama, was authorized during the term of Governor Bibb Graves in 1927. The State Toll Bridge Act authorized the State of Alabama to issue bonds to finance the construction of 15 such spans on the states waterways.
The B.B. Comer Bridge officially opened on August 2, 1930. On September 29. 1936, the tolls were lifted,the bridge could be crossed without cost.
The B.B. Comer Bridge is the last of the 15 memorial toll bridges -- the other 14 have been demolished.
What We Hope to Accomplish
The B.B. Comer Bridge is scheduled for demolition in 2015, after the completion of the new span. We are striving to save the bridge from being demolished and to convert it to pedestrian and biking use.
What We Need to Do